Monday, May 19, 2008

Roller Derby Revival

So this morning while I was at the gym one of the TVs was on ESPN and they were interviewing girls who are into Roller Derby - there is a Roller Derby Revival. One of the Roller Derby Queens said "Some people go to church, I'm into Roller Derby." Her quote was part of her discussion on how she finds peace and contement being part of a roller derby team.

Her quote is filled with many implications:

1) There are still a lot of unsaved people who assume that people who are Christians and are going to church are using their faith as a crutch to cope with life. The unbelievers philosophy is people cope with life by drinking alcohol, doing drugs, going to church or by being a Roller Derby Queen.

2) Unsaved people are so deceived into thinking they can find fulfillment without God.

Okay, I must admit I have been afraid to post a blog for the last couple of weeks. I was beginning to think that maybe I was not "Spiritual" enough to be writing about God, the Bible, or anything regarding Christianity so I created a post called Snakes and Turtles. Perhaps I am the blind leading the blind down that slippery slope right into the fiery pits of hell.

The other issue that I've really been struggling with is legalism. Legalism in the sense that I should not watch certain tv shows, listen to certain music, watch certain movies - that really I should be spending 4-6 hours a day on my knees in prayer seeking the unction of the Holy Spirit. That all of my spare time should be spent praying and reading my Bible. This came from the idea that so many people are getting saved at the the revival in Lakeland, FL. I began to wonder if my whole philosphy of building relationships with people and winning them to Christ is wrong. That we should just have healing revivals all across the country and everyone will get saved.

As I watched the girls going around the roller rink I kept thinking "That is really cool and looks like so much fun." And the girls were all wearing these really cute outfits and getting into fights. As I continued to watch them I began to wonder - would these girls attend a revival or would the very word freak them out and send them running in the other direction?

Jesus met people where they were at. People came to him in different ways and with different needs. So too, people come to salvation in different ways... Jesus told Peter simply to follow Him, while Paul was blinded by a light on the road to Damascus. I was saved attending youth group with a friend, but, I know other people who have been saved in their cars and others in their bedrooms.

How will the Roller Derby Queens be saved? What about the people who think Christianity is just a crutch and still those deceived into thinking they can find fulfillment apart from God. I certainly won't be able to reach them if I'm spending all of my spare time praying and reading my Bible - although both of these are very, very essential to the Christial Life, there needs to be balance.

I may come to develop an interest in becoming a Roller Derby Queen so that I can share the gospel with them (Romans 10:14). The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 9:22 (LB) "Yes, whatever a person is like, I try to find common ground with him so he will let me tell him about Christ and let Christ save him."

Perhaps we should just start a Roller Derby Church and have a Roller Derby Revival???

11 comments:

Jessica Stephens and Lisa Walker said...

jess says...you make very valid points that we all need to consider. the world does not focus on a perfect God when they consider xianity--they consider fallible xians. they can see right through that shallow "spiritual high" or "self-help" xianity. they see it and they don't want it. why? b/c it's not as "fun" as something else. it's H-A-P-P-Y with no honesty. it's fake. roller skating is for real. who wants to go to church and listen to some guy go on and on in some constipated voice about how we need to be "cool" with God when you could be doing something that actually seems fulfilling and real? exercise. adrenaline rush. friends. cute outfits. attention. i mean...at least it's not drugs, sex, or rock'n'roll, right? still...it's a square peg meant for the God-shaped hole. if people think God is just a way to feel good about themselves, then why should they trust Him?

Jessica Stephens and Lisa Walker said...

Yes!!! That is why it is so important for us to get out there and share the truth with them.

parkers3 said...

Great blog on roller derby! My wife, daughter, and I are all *huge* roller derby fans, and we make an annual trip from Kansas to see one bout in Austin, Texas, each year. My wife and I are both school teachers. (She is an elementary school teacher, and I teach social studies and technology classes in middle school). We are all Christians, and we are very active in our church. My wife and I teach Sunday School together, and I also serve on the church board as a deacon. Our daughter is in middle school, is VERY active in church, youth group, and is a member of our school's Fellowship of Christian Athletes chapter, and she is a huge fan of derby. (She actually has spoken to and got the autograph from one of the skaters in that ESPN segment.) Being roller derby fans means a lot to my wife and daughter. I found an article that you may find interesting. It is at:
http://blog.todayschristianwoman.com/editors/
2007/06/what_i_learned_from_the_roller_1.html
I guess the point is that being a Christian and enjoying roller derby are not mutually exclusive of each other. If you want to skate and share your faith, I say go for it! Although the skaters sometimes seem tough and intimidating on the track, nearly all are very gracious and polite off the track. :) Again, thanks so much for your blog!

Code Name: Spidermonkey said...

I ran across your blog when looking for christian roller derby teams. I was actually looking to start one after not finding any teams.

I was thinking the same thing on meeting people where they were at and witnessing (and also because it sounds fun). Not necessarily to save people on the spot *which would be awesome, but atleast to plant a seed in their minds. Only God can save, but I would like to be a tool to help him.

Unfortunately, it was only at the church now that anyone talked about a relationship with God. God actually wants to talk to you and actually cares. It was hard thing for me since my father was not loving or caring behind closed doors. Someone later pointed out that our parents serve as examples of our Holy Father and therefore that would be why I saw God as an uncaring selfish jerk who was distant and unrelateable. Now it's a whole new world and things I thought I would miss or be deprived of if I became a christian have no hold over me and I really have no desire for those things anymore. I think that's mostly what I want to get across to people.

As for you not being spiritual....If you have peace with God about what you are writing, then keep going. It's not something people get to approve of, God approves it. Just keep talking to him and ask that he gives you something that helps at least one person. When I was living in desperate times I had run across a blog and it was very uplifting and I was greatful for it. It wasn't "spiritually profound", but it meant a lot to me at the time.

Unknown said...

Spidermonkey!

I too am a christian (non-denominational - saved by the blood of Christ - Filled with the Holy Spirit type of Christian ... not just go to church and think i'm good to go type)

I would love to be aprt of a Christian Roller Derby team ... I may even be willing to relocate if that's what God has for me ...

hit me up @ viciousstylz@gmail.com

Vicious Stylz - Providence Roller Derby

Alex said...

While your intentions are good...don't assume that every derby girl isn't saved. I'm a Christian and was kind of put off by your blog. If you're gonna play derby, do it for YOU and God, He will give you the opportunity to witness. I only say this because roller derby is SO physically demanding and majority of the time is focused on physical training and endurance. And these ladies are really cool. Just don't be so quick to judge that they're all "lost" because you may be surprised.

Truth_Sayer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Truth_Sayer said...

If you're on facebook you can find this group: "You can be a Christian AND be in Roller Derby!"

Mrs Mansell said...

I am a Christian and a roller derbyite- quite a few in my league are. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive and I think being involved in both and being open about it educates both groups- the people at church don't think its a strange thing and the people in my league see that following Christ is a natural part of my life.

Didi said...

Well, thank you... I have recently been born again, and also even more recently, have joined roller derby. A colleague of mine made a comment about "Will I be going to punch out some derby girls after bible study or before..." Then the discernment came in, am I doing the right thing? These posts have definitley shed some light on this present topic in MY battleground!
Bless all of you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I am a christian and am in a derby league. the problem with why christians can't 'reach' the 'lost' is because their/our attitudes are so separatist in the first place...christians are taught from a young age that the 'world' is tainted. how can we have a healthy attitude about people and really love them if we think they are so 'lost' and 'tainted'... who wants to be a part of something like that? i spent 10 years in a charismatic church and became a full time missionary. mostly what i found in the church was that i didn't belong there. i worked with kids in orphanages and they taught me what it meant to belong to something real and how to be real. i left the church, i didn't leave God.
derby is about empowerment for women who have for years been subjected to a low social status by society...including the church. the reason why it is coming back is because women are starting to value themselves and other women as strong, individual, contributing members of a group. it has nothing to do (or ideally it doesn't) with seeking fame, fortune, and attention.
also, i would go back to church if i found one that would actually speak to my heart, have a sense of social justice, treat women fairly, and be LGBTIQ friendly.